If you are like me and you own an Airpod, you will quickly realize that it has one downside. it gets dirty pretty easily. But what happens when they get dirty? Can you take them to the Apple store to clean them for you, or is there a way to do it yourself? This blog post will answer this question and other questions about cleaning AirPods.
Will Apple store clean my AirPods?
Yes, any authorized Apple store will clean your AirPods for you. All you have to do is take them into the store and ask a technician to clean them for you. This service is usually free except when there are secondary issues with servicing the Airpod and the issue is not covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty or AppleCare+.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind before taking your AirPods into the Apple store:
- Ensure that you go to the store with the charging case and proof of purchase. This helps you avoid any suspicion of presenting a stolen or missing Airpod.
- If you have a warranty on your Airpods, make sure you let the technician know about it.
- The Apple store might not have the time to clean your Airpods on the spot. In this case, they will ask you to leave them and come back to pick them up at a later time.
Aside from taking your Airpods into the Apple store to get them cleaned, you can also clean them yourselves. This will be explained in subsequent paragraphs.
Can Earwax Damage Airpods?
Yes. Earwax can damage your Airpods in two ways:
- It can clog up the speaker mesh, preventing sound from coming through or causing sound distortion.
- If earwax or similar debris gets into the charging port, it can prevent the Airpods from charging properly or cause charging issues.
The earwax builds up from the ears and gets into the speaker mesh of the Airpods. If this continues, the earwax will slowly clog the speaker mesh, preventing sound from coming through or causing sound distortion.
To avoid this, it is recommended that you clean your Airpods bi-weekly if you use them regularly or once you notice a buildup of debris and earwax. Cleaning your AirPods is not difficult and only takes a few minutes of your time.
Why does my Airpods sound muffled?
If your Airpods sound muffled, it is most likely due to a buildup of earwax, dirt, and debris on the speaker mesh. The speaker mesh can be slowly obscured, preventing sound from being heard or producing a distorted or low sound.
It could solve this problem if you clean out the accumulated dirt and debris from the mesh. Although, some of the debris may have gotten into internal parts of the Airpod and will require a technician to strip the Airpod and clean it properly from the inside out.
Can I clean my Airpods myself?
Yes, you can clean your Airpods yourself. All you need is some cleaning materials to do the job. Some of which include:
- Q-tips cotton swab.
- Soft brush.
- Lint-free dry cloth.
Now that we know you can clean your Airpods, let's get into it.
How to clean Apple Airpods (1st & 2nd Generation) and Airpods Pro
To clean your Airpods (first and second-generation), you will need to:
- Remove the Airpods from the charging case or from your ears.
- Use the lint-free dry cloth to remove any dirt or debris from the mesh on each earbud. If you see any buildup of wax, use a Q-tip to gently remove it from the mesh. Be careful not to push the wax too deep into the speaker hole as this could cause damage.
- Once you've removed all visible dirt and debris, use a lightly dampened cloth to wipe down each earbud. Ensure you do not soak the earbuds in water as this could damage them.
- Finally, use the soft-bristled brush to scrub the mesh on each earbud lightly. Be sure not to press too hard as this could also damage the earbuds.
- Once you've finished cleaning your Airpods, allow them to dry completely before using them again.
You will need to take certain precautions while cleaning the Airpods. Some of these precautions include:
- Do not allow water or liquids to get into the Airpods. Airpods (1st and 2nd generation) with their charging cases were not made to be waterproof or water-resistant.
- Airpods Pro is water resistant but not waterproof. This means they can withstand light sweat or little moisture, but they cannot survive being submerged or placed under running water.
- Make sure the Airpods are dry before you attempt to use them again.
- Avoid using pointy or sharp objects to remove debris from the Airpods. This may damage the mesh or other internal components.
- Do not expose the Airpods to foreign objects that may damage them, like solvents, perfumes, lotions, etc.
How to clean Apple Airpods Pro Ear Tips
The Airpods Pro ear tips can be removed and cleaned separately from the Airpods Pro themselves. To clean the ear tips:
- Start by removing the ear tip from the Airpod stem.
- Rinse the ear tips in cold, clean water without any solvents or detergents.
- Once you've washed off all visible dirt and debris, use a dry lint-free cloth to wipe down each ear tip.
- Allow the ear tips to air dry completely before reattaching them to the Airpod stems.
How to clean Apple Airpods Max
You can also carry out the cleaning of the Airpods Max by yourself. To clean the Airpods Max:
- Start by removing the ear cushions from the Airpods Max.
- Pour in 5ml (like a tablespoon) of liquid detergent into 250ml (like a normal mug) of water.
- Turn the Airpods upside down to commence cleaning. This position helps to prevent any liquid from entering the headband attachment point of the Airpods max.
- Soak the lint-free cloth in the soapy solution and squeeze the liquid out slightly.
- Use the dampened side of the cloth to rub on the ear cushions and headband for up to a minute.
- Dampen a separate cloth in fresh water and use it to wipe out the soapy solution from the cushion and headbands.
- Use another separate lint-free dry cloth to wipe off the moisture and dry the cushions and headband of the Airpods max.
- Airdry the headband and cushions for at least 24 hours.
- Once they are completely dry, you can now reattach the cushions to the Airpods max and use them.
How often should you clean your Airpods?
You should clean your Airpods bi-weekly under normal daily usage. That is enough time for earwax from the ears, gunk, and other environmental debris to gather around the Airpods.
Cleaning your Airpods is also important to maintain their hygiene and prevent ear infections from micro-organisms in the earwax, which is now stuck on the Airpods.
You can also clean your Airpods once you notice that there is a buildup of gunk, earwax, or debris in and around your Airpods openings and meshes.
Frequently Asked Questions about cleaning your Airpods
Q. Will the Apple store clean my Airpods?
A. Yes, if you bring in your Airpods and they need to be cleaned, any Apple store technician will do it for you.
Q. Do I need to clean my Airpods?
A. While you don't need to clean your Airpods for them to function, it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of doing so every once in a while, just to be safe.
Q. How often should I clean my Airpods?
A. There isn't a set amount of time that you should clean your Airpods, but once they are dirty, they should be cleaned. If you require a schedule, then it is suggested that you do so bi-weekly if you use them daily.
Q. Will cleaning my Airpods damage them?
A. No, as long as you use the proper methods and materials, cleaning your Airpods will not damage them.
Q. How do I know if my Airpods are clean?
A. Once you've cleaned your Airpods, they should look shiny and clean. Also, all distorted sounds caused by clogging of the speaker mesh should disappear.
Q: Can I put my Airpods in the washing machine?
A: No, you should never put your Airpods in the washing machine as this will damage them. The Airpods are not waterproof.
In conclusion, Apple store will clean your Airpods for you if they need to be cleaned. Though, it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of cleaning them every once in a while. There isn't a set amount of time that you should clean your Airpods, but once they are dirty they should be cleaned.
Thanks for reading, and I hope this article was helpful.