It's the middle of the night and you're trying to sleep but you can't because you're restless. You glance at your watch and see that the time is currently 12:00. The thing is you woke up in a state of confusion and can't tell if it was 12:00 am or 12:00 pm. You realize that if the time were in 24-hour format, it would be easier for you to understand what time it is since it matches how you think of time. In this scenario, your watch is the Samsung Galaxy Watch and you want to change it to the 24-hour time format.
There are many other reasons you might want to change your Samsung Galaxy Watch to 24 hour time as well. Maybe you're traveling to a foreign country and want to adjust your watch so that it matches the local time there. Or maybe you work the night shift and want to be able to tell when it's daytime and when it's nighttime. Regardless of why you want to change your watch, this guide will help you to do it.
What is 24 Hour Time
24-hour time is what you might think of as military time or clock time. Whereas 12-hour time tells you what part of the day it is by using AM and PM, 24-hour time tells you what part of the day it is by using a number. Each hour has a number from 1 to 24 which represents it. So if someone was to say, "I will meet you at 13:00," they mean 1 pm. On a watch with a 12-hour time display, this would be shown as 1:00 pm.
Related article: What is water lock mode on Samsung galaxy watch?
How to change Galaxy Watch to military time
The first thing to do is to ensure that the watch is placed in standalone mode to prevent it from adopting the time of an external source (e.g, your smartphone) when connected.
Then, follow these simple steps to change your Samsung Galaxy Watch from 12-hour time (AM/PM) to 24-hour time.
- Open the Settings app on your galaxy watch.
- Scroll down and select General.
- Scroll down and select Date & Time.
- Toggle on 24-Hour Clock.
- Look for and disable the auto-sync feature on the watch.
- Tap on the checkmark at the top right corner of your screen to save your changes.
You will be returned back to your list of settings. Upon returning, you should see a clock icon in the upper left corner of your screen on both the home screen and within apps This indicates that you have successfully switched from 12-hour time to 24 Hours. That's it! Pretty easy, right? Now, whenever you want to check what time it is, you can easily do so without first figuring out if it's AM or PM.
Tips for adjusting the time on your Samsung Galaxy Watch
Samsung is a well-known company that provides high-quality electronics to its consumers. The Galaxy Watch series is one of the most popular smartwatch models in the market. It works with Android and iOS phones. The Galaxy watches perform various attractive functions, including telling the time in different formats. The following are tips for adjusting the time on your Samsung galaxy watch:
- When adjusting the clock type on your watch, make sure you don't change the date settings simultaneously. If you do, be prepared for some frustrating errors in which apps won't open, and your watch will be unable to download content from Samsung Galaxy Apps. If only changing the clock type, you shouldn't have any issues.
- If you are trying to change your time settings but cannot do so, make sure that your clock type is in "Standalone" mode. This setting ensures that your phone won't change the settings on its own since it is an independent device. By default, it should be in this mode when you first take out your watch from its box.
- You can change different skins for the face of your Samsung watch to the optimal one for displaying the time format you choose. However, not all watch faces supporting a 24-hour format. To be safe, change your time settings to a 12-hour format when trying out different skins/faceplates. When you find one that works for you, go back and change it to 24-Hour Clock Format.
Related article: How accurate is the Samsung Smartwatch counter?
How to Set the Date and Time on Your Samsung Galaxy Watch
It's easy to change the date and time in your galaxy watch. Just follow the steps shown below:
- Tap on Settings.
- Choose and tap Clock.
- Choose and tap Date and time.
- Deselect Auto-sync.
- Change the date or time as necessary.
- Accept changes.
FAQs about Changing Your Samsung Galaxy Watch's Clock Type
Q. What is 24 Hour Time?
A. 24-hour time, also known as military time, is basically how the numbers 1-12 after the first twelve hours are continued with 13 - 24 to represent each of the hours in a day. For example, in 24-hour format, it would be written as 13:00 rather than 1 pm.
Q. Why Should I Use a 24-Hour Format?
A. Some people prefer using twenty-four-hour (24) time because it shows that there is no AM or PM distinction. With the 24-hour format, you don't need to add or subtract hours when creating a time difference.
Q. How Do I Change My Watch's Clock Format to 24-Hour Time?
A. It is simple and easy to change your watch's clock type from the standard 12-hour time (AM/PM) to 24-hour time. You can do so from your watch's date and time settings. Read paragraph 2 for more details.
Q. Why Can't I Change the Time on My Watch?
A. First, ensure your watch is not connected to a phone. Then, go to Date and time in the settings menu of your watch, make sure you've deselected Auto-sync in Clock type, and set the clock format in Standalone mode. Then try to change the time again. The synchronization with your phone might be affecting it by changing the time.
Q. How Do I Know If I'm Using a 24-Hour Format?
A. You will easily know by the time displayed on your watch. Once it's beyond the 12th hour of the day, your watch will display 13:00 (and so on) without either the am or pm signs. When choosing a time format for your device, remember that some apps will not support this feature. So, before doing anything else, check if the app has an option for a time format.
Related article: Is Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 waterproof?
Now you know how to change your Samsung Galaxy watch to 24 Hour time. All you need are the simple instructions above, and you'll be able to switch easily between 12-hour and military time formats. Be sure to check if all your apps support a 24-hour format before changing the clock type on your device, as some may not work with this setting.
Hope you enjoyed the article.