Apple has been in the spotlight recently, and one of the hot topics is their newly released watch. Although it may seem like Apple's new device is capable of many tasks, we were left wondering if it was possible to take pictures with an Apple watch. In this article, we will clarify whether or not you can use the Apple Watch to take pictures. Keep reading to find out.
Can you take pictures with the Apple Watch?
No, you can't take pictures with an Apple watch. Apple watches aren't made with cameras. However, Apple designed the Apple watch in a way that you can see the picture your iPhone is about to take on your Apple watch.
You can also take pictures or record videos on your iPhone with a tap on your Apple watch. The app that makes this possible is called the Camera Remote app and can come in handy when your phone is on a selfie stick, or you want to take a group selfie with your phone mounted already. The app allows you to preview the shot you are about to take.
Using the Camera Remote app on your Apple Watch
If you want to take a distant photo where you have to be far from your phone, you can do so by using the camera remote app. This helps you see what the picture will be like before taking it. To use it:
· Activate Siri by saying "Hey Siri" and "start the camera app" when you are close to your Apple watch.
· You can also open the camera remote app instead by pressing the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch and selecting the app.
· Use your Apple watch as a viewfinder while you position your iPhone to frame the shot.
· Adjust the picture exposure by tapping the key area of the shot as shown on your Apple Watch.
· Turn the Digital Crown if you want to zoom in.
· Click on the shutter button to take the picture.
· The picture will automatically go to the photos app on your iPhone, but you can also view it on your Apple watch.
How the Camera Remote app on the Apple Watch works
The camera remote app on Apple watches shares your iPhone screen when you want to take a picture. It helps you to see how your iPhone's camera is positioned and how well the photo you want to take looks. Once you tap the shutter button on your Apple Watch, your iPhone takes the picture and saves it automatically.
You can make a video through this app by pressing and holding the shutter button. Clicking on the more button at the top right side brings out more options like the timer, set flashlight, switch to the front camera, live photos, and HDR options.
It's possible to change the camera mode on your Apple Watch. Probably from portrait to slow motion or any other camera mode you want. If you select video on your iPhone, the shutter on your Apple Watch will show red to indicate you are about to start a video recording once you tap on it.
How to adjust the Camera Remote app
When making use of the camera remote app, there are settings on the camera mode that you can change. For instance, you can change from the front to the rear-facing camera from your watch. You can also change to any other camera mode you want.
To change the camera:
· Open the Camera Remote app on your Apple watch.
· Click on display firmly.
· Tap Flip to change the camera facing.
· Click the shutter to take the picture.
To change the camera mode in use:
· Changing the camera mode will require you to go to your iPhone to make the change.
· Go to the camera app on your iPhone.
· Swipe the options at the bottom of your camera app to choose between slo-Mo, portrait, square, or time-lapse.
· Use your iPhone or your Apple watch to take the picture.
How to control shutter timer, HDR, and flashlight with an Apple Watch
You can adjust the shutter timer, HDR, and flashlight using the Camera Remote app on your Apple watch. To Adjust the flash:
· Open the camera remote app on your Apple watch.
· Click on display.
· Tap flash.
· Choose either On, Auto, or Off.
Using the shutter timer
· Open the camera remote app on your Apple watch.
· You'll see the timer at the bottom right of your watch face. Click on it.
· It will start beeping, and a countdown will show on your watch face to let you know when the shot will be taken.
· Open the Camera Remote app on your Apple Watch.
· Click on display.
· Tap on HDR.
· Select either On, Auto, or Off.
Apple explains that HDR – High Dynamic Range helps you take nice pictures in a highly contrasting environment. Your iPhone takes multiple shots when shooting on HDR at different exposure settings. It then blends them to give you a better-detailed photo. HDR can only be used with the rear-facing camera.
Reviewing your photos on Apple Watch
You can review the photos you took from your camera Remote app on your Apple watch. Open the Camera remote app on your apple watch and click on Thumbnail at the bottom left of the app.
· Click the Thumbnail by the left to view a photo.
· Turn the Digital Crown to Zoom.
· Drag on a zoomed photo to pan.
· Double tap on the screen so the picture will fill the screen.
· Tap the screen to hide or show the shot count and the close button.
· Tap close once you are done.
Note: Before these changes are made, your iPhone has to be positioned to take pictures.
Troubleshooting your Apple Watch camera
Depending on the model of both devices, you may have trouble connecting your iPhone's camera to the Camera Remote app on your Apple Watch. You must always open the camera app on your iPhone before opening the Camera Remote app on your Apple Watch.
Suppose you notice a blank screen on your Apple Watch in the Camera remote app. Try taking a test photo by tapping the shutter button. If this doesn't show you what your iPhone camera sees, close the camera app on both devices and try opening them again. It might take a while before they sync.
How to enable screenshots on Apple Watch
You can enable your Apple watch screenshots from the watch itself or through the watch app on your iPhone.
How to enable Apple watch screenshots from your iPhone
· Go to the Watch app on your iPhone and click on My Watch.
· Select General.
· Scroll down and toggle the switch beside the Enable screenshot – it will appear green once enabled.
How to enable Apple watch screenshots from your Apple watch
· Go to the settings app on your Apple Watch.
· Click on General and select Screenshots.
· Select the next slide to enable screenshots. Turn on the feature.
How to take screenshots on an Apple Watch
Use two fingers to press the side and the Digital Crown buttons simultaneously. The watch will take the screenshot. You'll see a flash or hear a shutter sound from your Apple watch to know that the screenshot was taken.
Note: Ensure both buttons are pressed at the same time. If not, the screenshot won't be taken.
Where do you find screenshots taken on the Apple Watch?
· Go to your iPhone and open the camera app to find the screenshots taken on your Apple Watch.
· Select the box at the left bottom corner, showing the recent photo preview.
· You'll be taken to the camera roll.
· The screenshot should be among the most recent photo if you just took it.
· You can also check the photos app. Go to Albums and scroll down till you see screenshots.
· Click on it, and you'll see the screenshot you took on your Apple watch.
What happens to the screenshot taken on an Apple watch?
Once you've taken a screenshot with your Apple Watch, you might wonder what happens to it. Well, the screenshot taken will automatically save on your iPhone's album, making it a normal photo. In essence, whatever you can do with a normal picture on your phone, you can do with an Apple watch screenshot. If you choose to share, post, or more, it's left to you.
Frequently Asked Questions pictures from an Apple Watch
Q. Can I access all the camera modes on my Apple Watch?
A. No, you can't access all the camera modes on your Apple Watch, especially panorama. This is because you will naturally have to move your phone around with your hands to take a panorama picture, which is impossible as there is no camera on the watch.
Q. Can you take photos on your Apple Watch without a phone?
No, you cannot take pictures on an Apple Watch without a phone. Since your Apple watch doesn't have a camera in it, there's no possible way it can take photos without a phone.
Q. How do I take a selfie with my Apple Watch?
A. Although the Apple watch doesn't have a camera, you can use your iPhone by setting it to selfie mode. Then, use your Apple Watch to press the shutter so that it can take a selfie.
As we've seen from the article above, taking a picture with your Apple Watch isn't directly possible. If you have questions about the Apple Watch taking pictures, kindly leave them in the comment section. Thanks for reading.