Airpods have become a part of our daily lives. These wireless headphones have been with us for some years now, and we're still discovering new ways to use them. They are compatible with almost every mobile device and OS. So, it's only natural that gamers would want to connect Airpods to Xbox and other gaming consoles. Depending on what your gaming needs might be, you may need to connect your Airpods to the Xbox one. Is this even possible?
In this blog post, we will help you answer this question and assist you with connecting your Airpods to the Xbox one.
Can you connect Airpods to Xbox one?
Yes, you can connect your Airpods to your Xbox one using normal Wifi technology found in phones and Propriety Wifi by Microsoft. The way it works is that your phone will act as a go-between to stream audio between the Airpods and your Xbox one console. Although, this is not a straightforward procedure as will be explained further.
For the Xbox one to connect to its proprietary accessories normally, it doesn't make use of Bluetooth technology like the Airpods and other headsets. It makes use of a wireless technology known as "Xbox wireless," which is proprietary to Microsoft.
You might be wondering why Microsoft didn't make use of the widely supported "Bluetooth" technology. This is because they are concerned about how well audio is received by other headsets when making use of Bluetooth technology. There is the issue of delayed audio, where there is a lag from when an action takes place to when you receive the sound in your headset.
Also, you might be faced with bandwidth limitations and audio interference, which will affect your overall gaming experience.
With Xbox Wireless, you’ll get excellent on-screen audio, the ability to support many headsets and controllers at the same time, and a more stable connection, It is believed to be a better option to get a good gaming experience.
How to connect Airpods to Xbox One
To connect your Airpods to your Xbox one, you will need your phone. Follow the step-by-step procedure listed below to successfully connect your Airpods to your Xbox One.
- Connect your Airpods to your Android or iOS device. Ensure that both your Airpods and your android or iOS device have enough charge for this procedure.
- Ensure your mobile device and Xbox one are connected to the same network.
- Install the Xbox app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the app, then sign in with the same account you use for your Xbox one or Microsoft.
- Your previous account will automatically show up if you added your Microsoft account previously to your device. Ensure the email displayed matches the one you use for your Microsoft sign-in. If not, click on ADD NEW ACCOUNT and sign up.
- Go to the main menu of the Xbox one by pressing the Xbox button on your Xbox gaming controller.
- Click on the PROFILE & SYSTEM tab, then select SETTINGS.
- Open the DEVICE & CONNECTION bar, then select REMOTE FEATURES, and checkmark ENABLE FEATURES.
- Go back to the Xbox app on your mobile device. Tap on the Xbox icon (with Wifi) at the top right corner. Select the REMOTE PLAY ON THIS DEVICE option.
This will allow you to stream the Xbox one gameplay (including its audio) on your mobile device. Since your mobile device is connected to your Airpods, you will hear the gaming audio on your Airpods.
While the game audio is streaming to your Airpods via your mobile device using normal Bluetooth, you can resume gameplay as you normally would.
The Xbox app in your phone makes use of Xbox Wireless protocol to connect your phone to the console making you receive game play audio without any lag or audio interference.
How to use Airpods to voice chat on your Xbox one while gaming
One major reason gamers make use of headsets while gaming is to enable them to voice chat with other gamers while playing online. They do this to increase the fun of gaming and to give users the best gaming experience, Microsoft has an in-built proprietary voice chat system on the Xbox one that allows gamers to voice chat during gameplay. It is known as Party Chat.
But the Airpods aren’t specifically designed as an Xbox One gaming headset. So, how can we make use of it to voice chat while gaming?
To make use of your Airpods to voice chat while gaming, you need to do the following:
- Connect your Airpods to your Xbox one as outlined in the steps above.
- Then, go to the MAIN MENU section of the Xbox app on your mobile device..
- Click on LET'S PLAY.
- Open the PARTIES icon. The icon with three people on it in the top slightly right side.
- Tap START A PARTY, and you will create an Xbox party immediately.
- Click on INVITE TO PARTY and select the names of your friends who will be added to your party.
- Click on SEND INVITATION. This will automatically invite them on their Xbox app or Xbox one console to join you in your Xbox one games.
- Go back to the Parties icon. Scroll down and tap on CHANGE AUDIO DEVICE. Then, select your Airpods.
- Put on your Airpods on both ears and start voice chatting with your friends while enjoying the gameplay.
What to do if you can't hear the audio from your Xbox one
The problems gamers face when they use Airpods on Xbox one have to do with the audio. Gamers usually complain that their Airpods can't receive audio from the Xbox one console, fellow gamers can’t hear them, they can’t hear other gamers or both.
These problems sometimes occur while playing games, and it might be because of the Xbox one console setting, problems from your Airpods, or poor connection between the Airpods and Xbox one. Check out the steps below to see how you can solve the problem:
- One major reason your Airpods won't pick up the audio coming from your Xbox console is if its battery is low. In order for Airpods to work efficiently, they need to be charged. To solve this, you will have to put the Airpods back in the case and charge them for about 15 minutes before connecting them again. Also, check your mobile device if it needs to be charged, as it might hinder the syncing process.
Note: Your Airpods can last for a few hours if charged up to 15 minutes and more if charged fully.
- If you followed the process mentioned above and you still have issues with your Airpods audio, disconnect your Airpods and mobile device, then reconnect it. This is more like restarting the connection.
- Check if your mobile device is properly logged in on the Xbox app. You have to log in with the same account you used on the Xbox console.
- Ensure that the Airpods has not being muted. Check on your console to see if the headset has been set to mute. If it is, then unmute it to get the audio.
- If others can hear you, but you can't hear them while gaming, check the audio volume of your Airpods on your phone. Make sure to increase it so you can hear the gaming audio.
- Check your Xbox one’s privacy settings. Go to SETTINGS, click on ACCOUNT, then PRIVACY & ONLINE SAFETY, select VIEW DETAILS & CUSTOMIZE, then tap on the COMMUNICATE WITH VOICE AND TEXT, and set it to EVERYBODY.
- Also, select your PARTY CHATS output to speakers, this setting allows audio to come through a connected speaker device i.e the Airpods, from your Xbox one console.
Frequently Asked Questions about Airpods connection to Xbox one
Q. Can you connect your Airpods to Xbox one directly?
A. No, you cant connect your Airpods to your Xbox one directly as Microsoft does not allow a third-party device to connect directly as headphones to their Xbox one console. To connect your Airpods to your Xbox one, follow the procedure described in the article.
Q. Does the Xbox one have Bluetooth?
A. No, the Xbox one doesn't have Bluetooth technology, unlike the Airpods and other headsets. They make use of "Xbox wireless," Microsoft's wireless proprietary connection, which supports only Xbox one gaming headsets and controllers.
Q. How do you change the volume coming into the Airpods?
A. To adjust the audio volume coming into your Airpods while playing games, go to the menu section of your Xbox one, select SOUND/DEVICES, then select VOLUME. Here you will see a menu for volume. Click on it, and you will be able to adjust the sound to suit your taste.
Q. Are Airpods good for gaming on Xbox One?
A. Yes, Airpods are good for gaming on Xbox one because it provides a similar experience to many quality headphones. Although, some gamers would prefer to go for the headset made specifically for Xbox One for a direct connection. The bottom line is that they both work albeit in dissimilar ways. Every gamer has their own preference.
Q. How can you mute your mic on Xbox one?
A. You can do that by pressing the Xbox button on your controller, going to SETTINGS, and tapping on the ACCOUNT icon. Then, go over to VOLUME & AUDIO OUTPUT, and select ADDITIONAL OPTIONS. Once you are there, you can mute your mic by clicking on the MUTE SPEAKER AUDIO when the headset is attached or connected.
In conclusion, it is possible to connect your Airpods to your Xbox One by using the Xbox app on your phone as a go-between to stream the gameplay and its audio. The audio of the gameplay will then get passed to the Airpods using Bluetooth from the phone. It may not be straightforward but it is doable.
If you have any other questions about connecting your Airpods to the Xbox one, feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
Thanks for reading.