The PlayStation 4 and its predecessor the PlayStation 3 have been at the forefront of game consoles since the mid-2000s. Along with other PlayStation game consoles, they’ve redefined what gaming is all about.
These devices have a variety of ways to connect to different types of earbuds, whether it be directly through USB or audio Bluetooth dongles or wirelessly through wifi and a compatible app.
You may want to use your Airpods with your PlayStation 4, and you are probably wondering if it’s even possible.
Yes, you can connect the Airpods to your Playstation 4. There are several ways you can connect your Airpods to the PlayStation 4, but it isn’t as straightforward as connecting them like other devices.
A general rule of thumb when connecting any wireless device is that the connecting devices need to have the same wireless standards and frequencies. This means that your Airpods must have Bluetooth 5 for optimal connectivity to the PS4.
If you’re unsure about the compatibility of your Airpods, read on for more information on how to connect any model of Airpods to PS4.
Can You Connect Airpods to Playstation 4
Yes, you can connect your Airpods to your Playstation 4. The fact remains that PS4 doesn’t support many normal Bluetooth devices. Connecting your Airpods to PlayStation 4 is not as easy as connecting your mobile phone to your Airpods which is quite easy. You will need to use some extra equipment to connect it.
If you try to connect your Airpods to your PS4 without using a dongle, your PS4 will detect the Airpods but will display some sort of error message to show you that it cannot connect directly.
So to do this, you will need a PS4 Bluetooth dongle like Airplay which you will plug directly into the USB port of the console or at the audio jack of your PS4 controller depending on the input method of your Bluetooth dongle.
How to Connect Airpods to PS4
The steps to follow to connect your Airpods to your PS4 successfully are shown below:
- If the Bluetooth dongle you have uses a battery, make sure it is charged and also charge your Airpods to enjoy the game audio for a longer time.
- After charging your Bluetooth dongle, if need be, turn it on and plug it into the USB of the console or into the audio jack of the controller.
- Make sure the Bluetooth dongle is in pairing mode. If you are not sure of how to put it into the pairing mode, you can check the instructions that came with the dongle as it will guide you.
- Once the Bluetooth is in its pairing mode, open your Airpods charging case and hold the case's back button until it starts blinking white. This means that it is now in pairing mode.
- The Airpods may connect automatically to the dongle or you may need to go through the instructions for your dongle to get them connected together.
- Go to your PS4 device's menu to confirm if the Airpods are visible there. To do this, go to SETTINGS, then click on DEVICES and AUDIO DEVICES.
- While on the AUDIO DEVICES on your screen, Click on OUTPUT DEVICE. Then set it to the device connected with the Airpods. (Check your Bluetooth dongle instructions to know the correct menu to find this if it doesn’t show up as stated above).
- If you choose to control the volume of audio from your PS4, you can do that from the VOLUME CONTROL (HEADPHONES) menu of your PS4.
- Once you’ve done that, you can now receive all the audio coming from your PS4 into your Airpods and you are ready to enjoy your gaming experience.
NOTE: Although this article specifically answers your question on how to connect your Airpods to your PS4, you can also use this method for any other device that does not have a compatible Bluetooth capability once you’ve got an appropriate Bluetooth dongle.
Likely issues you face when connecting Airpods to PS4
While trying to connect your Airpods to your PS4 or after connecting them, you will likely face some issues. Some of these issues you will face and their remedies are explained below:
Patchy Audio or Static problem
Once you connect your Airpods to your PS4 successfully and the audio that comes in is patchy or static, this means that you are too far from your PS4 Bluetooth dongle.
The patchy audio or static problem might also mean that you are separated from your console by an obstacle like a wall or other sources of interference that could jam the Bluetooth signal.
To stop this audio problem so that you enjoy the flow of your music while playing the game, all you have to do is to be within the stipulated range of the Bluetooth dongle. To be sure of this range, you can check the Bluetooth dongle’s manual.
You can also try to remove any intervening obstacle that can block the radio waves between you and your Bluetooth dongle.
Airpods keeps pausing and playing erratically
It can be quite annoying if your gaming audio keeps pausing and playing erratically on your PS4. Well to put an end to this, all you have to do is take off the Airpods from your ears, place them in their case and reset them.
To reset them, open the lid of the case and hold the case button for about 15 secs until the LED starts blinking white from amber. Then, connect the Airpods as per normal to your device.
Hopefully, this will solve it. If it doesn’t solve it, then you may have to contact Apple.
Can I connect Airpods to PS4 without a dongle?
Yes, it is possible. Although it is slightly complex and works mostly with Apple iPhone and iPad. The steps are shown below:
- Go to the app store and download the PS4 remote play app.
- Make sure your PS4 and iPhone/iPad are connected wirelessly in the same Wifi network as the PS4.
- Start the app and sync it to your PS4 console. This will allow you to play your PS4 game on your iPhone/iPad.
- Connect your Airpods to your iPhone as per normal and go back to playing your PS4 from the controllers.
- Now the gaming audio will be streamed via your iPhone/iPad to your Airpods.
One advantage of using this method to connect your Airpods to your PS4 is that you don’t have to be close to the PS4 console. You can basically play from anywhere in your house as long as both devices are still connected wirelessly in the same wifi network and your iPhone is within the Bluetooth range of the Airpods. The disadvantage of this however is that it will drain your iPhone/iPad battery quickly.
Are Airpods good for gaming on PS4?
Some gamers would prefer using the Airpods for gaming on their PS4 probably because they are already used to using the Airpods for all their audio entertainment. Besides, they may just enjoy having only one set of headphones around the house.
Although, I would recommend a PS4 gaming headset as it is everything that the Airpods is not. From the stress of having to get a Bluetooth dongle, to going through the process of connecting it, to being limited to only the audio that comes from the PS4 without being able to chat with fellow gamers while gaming.
A gaming headset is easy to connect to, you don’t need a dongle whatsoever, and you can enjoy listening and talking with other gamers, which is actually one of the most interesting parts of gaming.
Frequently Asked Questions about Airpods connection to PS4
Q. Can you use Airpods to chat with other gamers on PS4?
A. No, you cannot use Airpods to chat with other gamers during gameplay. Although your Airpods have microphones in them that you can make use of while making calls, the mic will not work for gaming. This is because the Bluetooth dongle only sends audio from the PS4 to your Airpods and does not have the additional capability to make the microphone available to enable you to chat.
In other to chat with other gamers on your PS4, you will have to get a headphone specifically made for PS4. With this, your microphone is enabled to let you talk freely.
Q. What do I do if my Airpods do not sync with the Bluetooth dongle?
A. If you are having issues connecting your Airpods to the Bluetooth dongle, what you need to do is first check if both your Airpods and Bluetooth dongle are fully charged as a low battery might disrupt the syncing.
Then, make sure your Airpods are within the range of the Bluetooth dongle.
Q. How can I improve the audio quality of my Airpods while gaming?
A. One way to improve the audio quality of your Airpods while gaming is by adjusting the audio output settings on your PS4.To do this, go to the PS4 Settings > Devices > Audio Devices. From there you will be able to change the audio settings to fit your preference.
Q. Can I use my Airpods while charging my PS4 controller?
A. Yes, you can use your Airpods while charging your PS4 controller. This is because the Bluetooth dongle that you are using to connect the two devices will only take up one of the two USB ports of the PS4. The other port can be used to charge the controller.
Using the controller while it is charging will not affect the audio output of the Airpod from the dongle that is plugged into the PS4.
In conclusion, you can connect your Airpods to PS4, but it is not the best option as you will be limited in terms of audio quality, and also, you will not be able to chat with other gamers while playing.
A gaming headset is a better option as it is easy to connect, has a clear mic for chatting, and also provides an immersive audio experience. I hope this article was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading.